Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day = Start Anew Day



Isn't that a simply gorgeous Christmas tree?

No, that is not our family Christmas tree.
But it was one of the stupendous trees in the lobby of the Willard Hotel in downtown D.C.  We strolled through the hotel after viewing the National Christmas Tree.
One note about the "new" National Christmas Tree -- it really resembles something much closer to a shrub than a tree, and it felt just unkind to post a photo of it. We are holding out hope it will grow into something that resembles a tree in the next few years...or decades.
For those who are unaware, the former National Christmas Tree snapped in half during a ferocious wind storm in spring 2011. The new tree is its replacement. And, unfortunately, it is but a shadow of its former self. ; )

And so, today is January 1, 2012. For some reason, the sound of 2012 sounds optimistic and hopeful. And I am more than willing to give into that, and face the new year with genuine belief in our ability to improve ourselves and the world we live in.

So - a short list of the things I hope for myself and my crew to achieve in 2012:

1. Strengthen ourselves, each of us physically, and as a family.
2. Bolster our financial house and future. Plan, save and spend with more attention and focus.
3. Remember that amidst the craziness that daily life can bring, we are definitely among those to whom this applies:
From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.  (Luke 12:48)
**For the record, I did not realize the John F. Kennedy quote "To those whom much is given, much is expected" originated in the Book of Luke until I looked it up.

4. And lastly -- and this one is for me: settle into my own skin, and continue to work on blooming where I am planted. It is good to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment